Monday, February 06, 2012

In which after some shouting and tears, we cook.

Ugh. I'm getting a bit nervous about how things will be when I go back to work in a month....or 4 short weeks. I'm just capable of showering and getting dressed, feeding us all, getting children to where they need to be and meeting up with friends here and there as it is. Add 20 hours of work per week on top of that and where does that leave us?

Had a minor meltdown when at 8pm I knew I was too tired to cook all the meals I had planned to prepare for the week. Oli tried to keep things cool and prevent me from starting an argument. Josie woke up after just an hour of sleep and while breastfeeding her and ruminating about all the things on my plate, I started crying when I got to 'get a hair cut', because on top of everything else, I'M SUPPOSED TO BE PRETTY?! Eck.

In the end, Oli cooked two dishes and I cooked two and we talked about his struggles with learning Catalan.

Sigh. Some Colbert Report and then bed!


2 cottage pies, chicken and carrot pesto pasta, Morroccan-style chicken, fish pie. ViolĂ .

5 comments:

Cass said...

you are far better than me ange! i don't have kids and i have not started dinner yet. i guess it's only 6:07 but before i start i have to find the counter under the dishes. boo. you're amazing!

Laura said...

First of all, the new picture in your header is breath.taking.

Next, good for you for making these delicious homemade meals at such a stressful time. You will be glad you did it. Well done. This will be a tough time, to be sure, but you will find your rhythm eventually. Give yourself plenty of time to get there and plenty of grace along the way. And long scraggly hair if you need it. You look gorgeous with your hair pulled back anyway. xoxoxo

Kate said...

oi, this all sounds very familiar...including the drowning of sorrows in some excellent political satire. Pretty sure Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert saved my sanity the first few months of Henry's life.

Fortunately, you are already naturally beautiful so you can strike the "looking pretty" from the list. As for the rest of it, I am quite sure there is enough love and moxie in that house to get thru the worst of it and someday, you will look back at this post (with perfectly coifed hair, btw) and smile at the simplicity of it all.

Unknown said...

Hehe. You guys are right...chin up, I know! Cooking together turned out to be quite therapeutic and may become a Monday night tradition for a while here.

@ Cass - Push the dishes aside and cook first :) Eating is more important than cleaning.
@ Laura - Thanks. I thought of you when 'making' the new header. I always love yours.
@ Kate - Moxie. Ha!

Thanks all!

Megan said...

I have to agree with the previous posters, you'll get through this time. I can relate about stressing over haircuts though;it's when you realize that you also have to take care of yourself that it all begins to seem like too much! Glad you guys found some togetherness in cooking.