Friday, February 15, 2008

Floating

Back from England. Getting back into the groove here in Barcelona. Feeling a bit out of touch with reality....

---

Lily has entered the infamous terrible twos. Tantrums. Not sleeping well. Having tantrums while not sleeping well. We assume some of this has to do with the amount of travel we've done and that our home probably doesn't feel like our home....it sure doesn't for me yet. Perhaps when we have more of a life here, it will be easier for her to be settled.

---

On the other hand, she's a lot of fun now in her big kidness. She talks quite a bit and comes up with funny things she likes to say to be silly. For example, she said 'Superman' the other day and I was surprised because I didn't know she knew him. So I repeated 'Superman?!' She replied, 'Superfly!' giggling like a maniac, and after I giggled and repeated her funny word, she proceeded to shout out 'Superfly' from time to time throughout the day just so we could both have a laugh.

---

Have learned that old lady living in flat that butts up to ours is C-R-A-Z-Y....threatening to call the police because Lily cries in the night....banging on our walls when Lily cries......We don't ever really hear other people, so we didn't really know she could hear Lily, and it's not like Lily has never cried before now. Working on trying to be diplomatic......but really just want to say 'que te cagues...,' buy some damn earplugs like a normal human being. Now every time Lily cries I'm even more stressed because I know psycho is listening and waiting.

---

Need to get a non-parent life here. Thinking about taking a business Spanish course but not sure if it's worth the expense. Perhaps should just apply to some jobs and if my work Spanish isn't good enough, take a course at that point. All of this looking up information and going to talk to people requires time, though......

1 comment:

Maiasaura said...

Hey, Angela. Just wanted to say that I'm feeling you on two counts:

1. Tantrums. We are there right now, even though we haven't reached age 2 yet. By my calculations, about 60% of our day is spent in a battle of wills, or a communication crisis. Either I'm trying to keep him from something he shouldn't have, and he's voicing extreme displeasure (read: screaming), or I'm trying desperately to figure out WHAT THE HELL he wants while he flails about on the floor, screaming again. I'm exhausted. It's a good thing he still giggles once in a while. Otherwise, I might be tempted to leave him on a doorstep somewhere.

2. Shitty neighbors. We don't have them now, but we did once. It was hell. I am cringing to read about your crazy lady. I hate that. Any situation with an unreasonable neighbor is awful, but especially so when it involves your kid. Our horrible neighbors lived beneath us and would blast insanely loud music all day when Simon was a babe and trying to sleep a lot during the day. Then they had the audacity to complain about his little footsteps in the morning. They were trying to sleep, they complained, and 'it's only 10:30 am! God, why does your kid have to get up so damn early?' Trying to show them I was reasonable and neighborly, I started to keep the door to his bedroom shut until 11 am every day, so they could get their precious sleep. Not surprisingly, they did not reciprocate by keeping the music down. Ugh. Anyway, I hope your neighbor takes some pills or gets laid or whatever needs to happen for her to chill out. You totally do not deserve the double stress of trying to mother your child and trying to keep the neighbors happy.

Can't wait to see you guys! We need to think about what we want to do while there...