Thursday, January 04, 2007

Child therapy

When Jacob gets really upset and yells at my sister and brother-in-law, they get down on their knees and tell him to calm down and breathe in good thoughts and breathe out bad thoughts.

The other day Jacob got angry at some of his toys and tried this on his own. He came in to my sister’s room thereafter and said, “Mom, I think there’s something wrong with my body. I’m trying to breathe in good thoughts and breathe out bad thoughts, but I can only breathe in bad thoughts and breathe out bad thoughts. Is there something wrong with my body?”

As if this weren’t funny enough, the next day when my sister said it was 8:30pm and time for bed, Jacob started yelling, “You’re making bad thoughts! You’re lying about the time.”

When my mom pointed out that her phone also said 8:30, Jacob just laughed and said, “You’re just a maker-upper, too, Ya-ya.”

Crazy.

1 comment:

Laura said...

"Kids say the darndest things": No truer cliche was ever invented.

Seriously, though, I like your sister's style. It's good to give kids acceptable language/techniques for working through emotions. It's pretty amazing that he was able to express the trouble he was having converting his bad thoughts to good ones. Very self-aware. They're on the right track there, I think.